Maria Sakkari did not change her position in the world ranking of women’s tennis, maintained by the WTA, effectively finishing the season very high.
The Greek champion remained in 9th place in the world, while Iga Sviatek returned to the top. who easily defeated American Jessica Pegula to win the WTA Finals title.
This is the position of Maria Sakkari in the world ranking
The Pole was storming and in just 59 minutes she easily defeated the American, 6-1, 6-0, winning the title thanks to which she will end the season as world No. 1, surpassing Arina Sabalenka.
It is worth noting that the Polish champion finished this season with a streak of 11 victories, from the Beijing tournament to the final in Cancun, while at the same time the 22-year-old became the youngest title holder after Petra Kvitova in 2011 in Istanbul, but also the 2nd Poland after Agnieszka Azarenka in 2015 in Singapore.
With this title, Sviatek reached 6 in 2023, and a total of 17 titles in her career.
The top ten is as follows:
1. Iga Sviatek (Poland) 9,295 points
2. Arina Sabalenka (Belarus) 9,050
3. Coco Goff (USA) 6,580
4. Elena Rybakina (Kazakhstan) 6,365
5. Jessica Pegula (USA) 5,975
6. Ons Zamber (Tunisia) 4,195
7. Marketa Vodrusova (Czech Republic) 4,075
8. Karolina Muhova (Czech Republic) 3,651
9. Maria Sakkari (Greece) 3,620
10. Barbora Krejčkova (Czech Republic) 2,880