Negotiations continue, through an interpreter
The Hamburg airport thriller continues, where a 35-year-old gunman is holding his four-year-old daughter hostage.
Since Saturday evening, Hamburg Airport has been shut down. It all started when the 35-year-old, who is of Turkish origin, broke the bar and entered the airport track with his car.
He then allegedly fired two shots into the air and threw two Molotov cocktails, according to what is known so far. Negotiations with the 35-year-old continue, the Hamburg police said earlier today, in a post on social media. Communication with the perpetrator is done through an interpreter, in Turkish.
The 35-year-old has asked to be allowed to travel to Turkey with his four-year-old daughter, according to Bild. At the heart of the case seems to be the dispute between the parents over the custody of the child. The child’s mother had informed the police about her daughter’s abduction.
After storming the airport runway, the 35-year-old stopped next to a Turkish Airlines plane. “We mobilized police psychologists and now we are talking to the perpetrator, we hope for a negotiated solution,” police spokeswoman Sandra Løvgrun told NDR television earlier.
At the same time, he described the fact that the man continues to communicate with the authorities all these hours as a “very good sign”. “We are still talking with the father in the hope of reaching a peaceful solution,” he added.
With information from APE/AFP