An elusive dream and huge pushback for the country’s rock audience. A unique and possibly last chance to enjoy live some of the greatest rock songs ever written.
Almost 40 years after the band’s historic concerts in May 1985 at the Peace and Friendship Stadium, all the great compositions of DIRE STRAITS will once again be heard live on Greek soil, by the outstanding musicians who recorded, toured and were members of the insurmountable British rock group that was often described as “the greatest British band of the 80s”having sold hundreds of millions of records despite their relatively short run.
With the blessings of the Knopfler brothers, the DIRE STRAITS LEGACY is the world’s only way to hear the much-loved band’s songs live, played on stage by former band members who make up one of the greatest line-ups ever, charged with the mission of reverently and perfectly rendering the excellent material that everyone we have loved each other.
Dire Straits Legacy consists of original Dire Straits members – Alan Clark, Mel Collins, Phil Palmer, Danny Cummings, and Marco Caviglia – world authorities on Knopfler’s signature guitar technique. Also, Grammy Award winner Christiano Micalizzi and multi-instrumentalist Primiano Di Biase. Special guest the great Steve Walters, and John Illsley in selected special appearances and on production, fellow Grammy Award winner, Trevor Horn.
In the summer of 2024, Athens and Thessaloniki are FINALLY the stops of the new world tour, dedicated to the memory of the recently deceased JACK SONNYuntil a former member of DSL and also of the original lineup during the period of the iconic album “Brothers In Arms” and the legendary appearance at Live Aid ’85.
But those present are many and prominent:
- Grammy Award winner & member of the Rock’n’Roll Hall of Fame, the self-taught pianist ALAN CLARK he was the original keyboardist throughout the course of DIRE STRAITS until their final disbandment in 1995, while he was also a co-producer on several of the band’s albums, including the award-winning “On Every Street”. A true virtuoso of the hammond organ, he has written dozens of soundtracks, been a member of Eric Clapton’s and Bob Dylan’s bands, and was Tina Turner’s main musical director at the height of her career. Having worked with countless artists (including The Bee Gees, Phil Collins, Roger Daltrey, Bo Diddley, Buddy Guy, George Harrison, Billy Joel, Elton John, Brian Johnson, Pet Shop Boys, Prefab Sprout, Lou Reed, Rod Stewart , Van Morrison, Robbie Williams and of course brothers Mark & David Knopfler in their personal careers after Dire Straits), is a founding member of DIRE STRAITS LEGACY from the first brief joint appearances with Phil Palmer and John Illsley 15 years ago as Dire Straits Legends, which sparked the former band members’ desire to perform the band’s material live again after Mark Knopfler’s definitive rejection of reunion thoughts .
- An original member of Crimson King in the 70s but also in all subsequent reunion projects as saxophonist, flutist and keyboardist, he added his name to the iconic single “Miss You” and the album “Some Girls” with the Rolling Stones. Having recorded in the late-70s & early 80s with rock and prog heroes Bad Company, Camel & Alan Parson’s project on major records, the versatile MEL COLLINS joined DIRE STRAITS in 1982 during the recording sessions of “Love Over Gold” and delivered countless moments of magic on the 8-month self-titled tour, captured on the monumental 1984 album “Alchemy Live”. He had started his career way back in 1965 alongside Eric Burdon and since then, he has collaborated with countless great artists, participating in historic records and tours. For many years he was the main saxophonist for Roger Waters, Alvin Lee, Bryan Ferry, Gerry Rafferty & Jim Capaldi. The list is truly endless and includes names like Humble Pie, Uriah Heep, Eric Clapton, Small Faces, Marianne Faithfull, Tears for Fears, 10cc and countless others.
- The other founding member of the DIRE STRAITS LEGACY regarded by the music industry as one of the greatest session guitarists of all time, having participated in the recordings and tours of more than 500 albums to date. A key member of Eric Clapton’s band, there he met Alan Clark in the late 80s and his joining PHIL PALMER in Dire Straits it was now a one-way street. He recorded and toured from 1990 until the breakup of the band, marking the only time in his career that he functioned exclusively as a full-time member of a band. His participation in countless landmark albums of rock music made him sought after by every up-and-coming artist looking for mainstream success, but also by the producers of the biggest pop-icons who desired his services (such as George Michael, Take That, Pet Shop Boys, Spice Girls, Céline Dion, Sheena Easton, Lisa Stansfield, Tina Turner, Robbie Williams etc.). In 2004 he was chosen by Fender as the artistic director of “The Strat Pack”, the celebration event at Wembley Arena in London for 50 years of the legendary Fender Stratocaster guitar, while two years earlier he was the lead guitarist of the band chosen by the great composer and conductor Michael Kamen at the famous “Party at the Palace” concert held at Buckingham Palace. It is no coincidence that the title of the autobiography he published a few years ago is called “Phil Palmer, the Session Man”.
- At the same time as Phil Palmer, he joined Dire Straits as percussionist o DANNY CUMMINGS whom they had met through their joint collaboration with George Michael. Before officially joining the band though, Cummings had already appeared live on stage as a member of the band at the legendary 1985 Live Aid concert at Wembley Stadium. Danny’s participation in On Every Street and the band’s upcoming final tour cemented a great on-stage chemistry and interpersonal relationship between Cummings and Knopfler who have since been partners throughout Mark’s solo career to this day, in whose band he is main drummer and backing vocalist. But Cummings’ need and desire to be able to play live the songs he loved so much, inevitably led to the parallel joining and participation in DIRE STRAITS LEGACY with the wishes of the undisputed leader of the original band. Having immersed himself in the African tradition, he divides his time between Senegal (playing with indigenous street musicians but also the great Youssou’N’Dour, Salif Keita & Mory Kante) and the London studios (where he has recorded monumental albums as a drummer or percussionist for artists such as Depeche Mode, Pink Floyd, Paul McCartney, Pulp, George Michael & Wham!, Bryan Adams, Chris deBurgh, Nazareth, Tina Turner, Elton John, Simply Red, Pet Shop Boys, Steel Pulse, David Gilmour and of course all the discography of the Knopfler brothers).
- As if all this was not enough, with the blessings of Trevor Horn, DSL supervising producer and bassist of the legendary Yes, bass duties in an already iconic line-up, taking over as special guest for the upcoming tour STEVE WALTERS. A disciple of the inimitable Jaco Pastorius, the in-demand British five-string bass virtuoso started out in the James Taylor quartet in the 80s, before becoming the late George Michael’s bassist throughout his solo career. But in between he recorded and toured with countless other great artists such as Amy Winehouse, the legendary Rod Stewart, funk empress Chaka Khan, Sir Cliff Richard, Jimmy Cliff, Mariah Carey, Pet Shop Boys, and the beloved Waterboys among many others.
- The touring line-up beyond some sporadic worldwide and usually extraordinary appearances of the veteran JOHN ILLSLEYcompleted by CRISTIANO MICALIZZIa Grammy Award-winning session drummer, best known for his collaboration with Italian superstar Eros Ramazzotti and over 200 recordings, and PRIMIANO DI BIASE, probably continental Europe’s most sought-after session keyboardist. Last but certainly not least, we left the frontman MARCO CAVIGLIA, who is widely regarded as the leading authority on the unique guitar playing style of Mark Knopfler’s work. Caviglia was introduced to his indalma in the early 90s through his collaboration with Steve Phillips, Knopfler’s fellow traveler in the country project The Notting Hillbillies that he maintained alongside Dire Straits. They kept in touch and when several years later the DIRE STRAITS LEGACYhis suggestion and choice to fulfill the difficult task of faithfully rendering the guitar sound of Dire Straits, was now evident with the fervent blessings of his mentor.
In conclusion, the DIRE STRAITS LEGACY, in 2023 is the only continuation of DIRE STRAITS’ iconic music and the only way to experience it live in concert. Original members make up the line-up, musicians who recorded the most famous albums and toured for years, creating the legendary sound of the British band, flanked by legendary session musicians and the addition of Marco Caviglia, a world-renowned expert in the special guitar playing of Mark Knopfler, which lends the signature sound of the much-loved British band.
Drawing from six platinum albums, the band’s incredible live show features all the classic DIRE STRAITS hits including ‘Money for Nothing’, ‘Sultans of Swing’, ‘Romeo and Juliet’, ‘Walk of Life’, ‘Brothers in Arms’. “Tunnel of Love”, many fan-favorites such as “Expresso Love”, “Telegraph Road”, “Down to the Waterline”, “Solid Rock”, “So Far Away”, “Heavy Fuel”, and many more surprises in a two-hour program that will definitely make us dance, be moved and above all remember the greatness of this great British band that at one point became so big that it had no choice but to disband!
At the end of June 2024, the skies above Athens and Thessaloniki will be filled with the wonderful melodies of DIRE STRAITS in two unrepeatable shows that no rock fan can miss!
DIRE STRAITS LEGACY
WORLD TOUR 2024
LIVE IN GREECE
Thursday 27 JUNE 2024 | ATHENA – TECHNOPOLIS MUNICIPALITY of Athens
SATURDAY JUNE 29, 2024 | THESSALONIKI – LAZARIST MONASTERY
A production of her MADE OF STONE PRODUCTIONS in collaboration with WE4SHOW
Tickets are pre-sold nationwide in its network Viva (more.com | Public | Nova) and locally at the publishing houses of the venues.
TICKET PRICES in the A’ pre-sale phase:
ORTHOION – €34
A‘ ZONE – €42
B’ ZONE – €39
KERKIDA – €39
After the exhaustion of the tickets of the A’ phase, the prices are set as follows:
ORTHOION – €39
A‘ ZONE – €48
B’ ZONE – €44
KERKIDA – €44
Technopolis of the Municipality of Athens: 100 Piraeus, Gazi, 213 0109300
Access: Metro: “Kerameikos” Station, Trolley: No. 21 (from Omonia), “Fotaerio” Stop,
Buses: 035, 049, 227, 815, 838, 914, B18, C18, “Fotaerio” Stop
Lazarist Monastery: Kolokotroni 21, 56430 Stavroupoli Tel: 2310 650.999 / 589.185