The minister is determined to win the bet of Greece’s transformation Infrastructure and Transportn. Consistent, low-key and goal-oriented o Kostas Karamanlis he is the minister of works, not words, according to those who know him best.
“We are working to serve the national goal set by the government of Kyriakos Mitsotakis: To bring Greece back to the center of progress and development. To take advantage of its strategic advantages to take the lead. Strengthening its international position, but also creating a better everyday life for citizens” supports the Minister of Infrastructure himself speaking to his colleagues and citizens.
For Costas Karamanlis the assumption of the ministry was a revelation, his close associates comment. “We received major projects blocked, zero preparation for new ones and urban transport in complete disarray. And critical policy areas, such as road safety, electrification and the digitization of services to citizens, either fall short or are at absolute zero. Therefore, we try to deal with complex and multi-year problems, which cannot be solved with a magic wand. Neither projects “sprout” in a day, nor transportation changes overnight. That’s why we work with a plan, systematically and without extravagant promises” he has noted himself describing what he faced.
The order he has given to his associates is “no big words”. Advocate of politics that respects citizens, does not caress ears, does not throw fireworks, but delivers results over time, believes in comprehensive plan and the organized plan. It is no coincidence that the ministry Infrastructure and Transport in the three years he planned and implemented projects of a total amount 13 billion Euro. Projects with a budget of 9.6 billion Euros have already been tendered and projects worth 3.8 billion Euros have been contracted.
They distinguish her work Line 4 of the Metro, his work BOAK in Crete and the new airport in Castle. To these are added the Southern Section of E65 where the first 14 kilometers were delivered and of course the Patras – Pyrgos.
Interventions have been made in public transport, whether it is urban transport or KTEL with Athens and Thessaloniki increasing their fleet. And of course Thessaloniki Metro.
Perhaps the top intervention is the reform of Law 4412 of public works, so that they proceed with speed, transparency and efficiency.
In order for the projects to proceed, Kostas Karamanlis looked for a way to deal with the problem of the appreciation of materials as a result of the energy crisis.
The major projects that are changing Greece
“All our projects are fully aligned with the new philosophy that governs our design for the country’s modern infrastructure. That is, sustainable development and the rational utilization and management of our natural resources” explains the Minister of Infrastructure clarifying how “if necessary, we clash with small and large interests, in order to provide solutions. Our only criterion is the public interest.”
The major works bearing the signature of Karamanlis are:
- MOTORWAY E-65 NORTHERN SECTION (Trikala Road – Grevena Road): The project concerns the study, construction, financing, operation, maintenance and exploitation of the Central Greece Motorway Project (E65), for the 70.47 km long Trikala – Grevena section through a Concession Agreement. The project is expected to be delivered in the 3rd quarter of 2024, while its cost amounts to €480 million
- MOTORWAY E-65 SOUTHERN SECTION (Lamia – Xyniada): The project concerns the study, construction, financing, operation, maintenance and exploitation of the first section of the Lamia – Xyniada Central Greece Motorway Project (E65), 32.27 km long from the PATHE semi-interchange to the uneven Xiniada interchange, through a Concession Agreement . Delivery time is the 4th quarter of 2023 and the cost is €332 million
- VOAC department CHANIA – HERACLEIO: The project concerns the study, construction, financing, operation, maintenance and exploitation of a section of the BOAK from Chania to Heraklion (Komvos Hersonissou) which is being upgraded to a 107 km long highway, through a Concession Agreement. The emblematic project for Crete will be delivered on 3The quarter of 2028 and its cost amounts to €1.6 billion
- VOAC section HERSONISSOS – NAPLES: The project concerns the study, construction, financing, operation and maintenance of a section of the BOAK from Hersonissos to Neapolis that is being upgraded to a highway. The project includes the 9.354 km Hersonissos-Malia section and the 13.087 km Malia-Naples section. This section will be delivered on 2The quarter of 2027 and it is a project worth €290 million
- BOAK section NAPLES – AGIOS NIKOLAOS: The project concerns the conversion of the Neapolis – Agios Nikolaos section of BOAK P.E. into a highway. Lasithi, 14.5 km long. Delivery time is 1The quarter of 2027 while the cost amounts to €186 million
- EXTENSION AVE. KYMIS – ATTICA ROAD EXTENSION – PATHE: The project concerns the extension and completion of Kymi Avenue, in the section from ATTIKI ODO to the uneven junction No. 1 (Kalyftaki) on the National Highway, and concerns the study and construction of a cross-section road axis of a closed highway, with a total length of approximately 3.8 km. Which is expected to breathe life into the Basin. The €352m project will be delivered on 2The quarter of 2026.
- IMPROVEMENT OF ROAD AXIS LAMIA – ITEA – ANTIRRIO: BRALOS – AMFISSA SECTION: The project concerns the improvement of the Diagonal Axis: Lamia – Itea – Antirrio of the Bralos – Amfissa Road Section through the sub-sections Bralos – Gravia Bypass Authority and I.K. Bauxite Mines (not included) – Amfissa. It will be delivered on the 4thThe quarter of 2026 while the cost is €285 million
- ROAD CONNECTION IOANNINA – KAKAVIA: The project concerns the extension of the Ionia road in the Ioannina – Kakavia section with two main subsections: Ioannina-Kalpaki and Kalpaki-Kakavia, with a total length of approximately 70 km. It will be delivered on 1The quarter of 2027 while its cost amounts to €300 million
- THESSALONIKI FLYOVER: The project concerns the upgrading of the Eastern Inner Regional of Thessaloniki with S.D.I.T. (“flyover”). It is a new, state-of-the-art aerial highway, which will ensure a definitive solution to the traffic problem of Thessaloniki, with a total length of approximately 13 km. According to the plan, the 2The quarter of 2026 and its cost is €373 million
- COMPLETION OF ALEXANDROUPOLI EASTERN CIRCULAR ROAD: The project concerns the completion of the Eastern Ring Road of Alexandroupoli, which will connect the port of the city with the Egnatia Road and the vertical axis Alexandroupoli – Ormenio, with a total length of 3.6 km. It will be delivered on 4The quarter of 2023 while the cost amounts to €36 million
- ROAD AXIS THESSALONIKI – EDESSA: The project concerns the study, construction, financing of the upgrade of the road axis EO2 (Mavrovouni – Edessa, Giannitsa Bypass, Chalkidona Bypass) and Operation – Maintenance of the Axios river – Edessa bridge section with S.D.I.T., with a total length about 80 km. It is estimated that it will be delivered on 3The quarter of 2026 and amounts to €419 million
- ROAD AXIS OF SOUTHWEST PELOPONNIS: The project concerns the study, construction, financing, operation and maintenance of the road axis of Southwest Peloponnese, section Kalamata – Rizomylos – Pylos – Methoni, with S.D.I.T., with a total length of approximately 50 km. It will be delivered on 3The quarter of 2026 and amounts to €250 million
- CONNECTION 6TH PROBLITA OLTH WITH PATHE AND EGNATIA STREET: The project concerns the road connection of the 6th Pier of the Thessaloniki Port Authority with the PATHE Motorway and the Egnatia Road via a viaduct, with a total length of approximately 3.5 km. This is another project that will be delivered on 4The quarter of 2023 while its cost is €65 million
- ROAD CONNECTION PATRA – PYRGOS: The project concerns the 74.5 km Patras-Pyrgos road connection of the Concession Agreement for the Study, Construction, Financing, Operation, Maintenance and Exploitation of the Elefsina – Corinth – Patra – Pyrgos – Tsakona Motorway, which will be implemented with a new layout , east of the existing E.O. Patras-Pyrgos. The delivery date is the 2nd quarter of 2025 and it amounts to €332 million.
- ROAD CONNECTION AKTIO – AMBRAKIA: The project concerns the construction of the Aktio-Ambrakia highway, with a total length of 32.2 km, of which 1.3 km include all the works and the rest completion of remaining works. At the same time, the connection of the motorway with the Ionian Road is planned. It will be delivered at the end of 2023 and costs €150 million
- ROAD CONNECTION LEFKADA TO AKTIOS: The project concerns the road connection of Lefkada with the road axis Aktio – Western Axis and is carried out through two new road sections that replace or improve existing ones: Vonitsa – Lefkada 16 km long and Aktio – Agios Nikolaos 5 km long. It will be delivered on 3The quarter of 2023 and has a budget of €48.1 million
- KALLONIS-SIGRIOU LESVO ROAD AXIS: The project concerns the upgrading of the 46.7 km Kalloni-Sigrio Lesvos road axis, of which 25.7 km are new markings and 21 km are improvements to the existing road. It will be delivered before the end of the year and costs €40 million
The priority of the minister now is the strict observance of the implementation schedules and, in cases where this is possible, the delivery of the projects before the program time.
Thermi – Galatista was launched ahead of schedule
Karamanlis for Piraeus metro: On the final stretch for delivery to the passenger public
Karamanlis from Thessaloniki Metro: End of 2023 delivered to citizens