Princess Leonor of Spain (Eleonora of Asturias) has turned 18 and has now officially entered the limelight as heir to the throne, raising questions about the role she will assume as an adult member of the royal family.
Spain: The beautiful Princess Leonor was sworn in as heir to the throne
Her birthday was celebrated with an official ceremony in the Spanish Parliament. He took the Pledge of Allegiance to the Constitution before receiving his Congressional and Senate medals.
Princess Leonor swore allegiance to Spain’s constitution yesterday on her 18th birthday – AP
AP Photo (Manu Fernandez
“Leonormania” in Spain – The princess in the “battle” to save the image of the royal family?
At the moment, Princess Leonor is, according to surveys, the most popular member of the royal family, surpassing even her father, King Felipe.
Princess Leonoro and her father King Felipe / AP Photo (Manu Fernandez)
There is already talk in the country of a “Leonormania” that has taken hold of the youth in Spain, who are interested in the public image of the princess and future queen of Spain.
Her beauty and simplicity seem to have won over a large portion of Spaniards, while her image, which has been protected before she came of age, seems to have also benefited the image of Spain’s royal family, which in the past has been “tarnished” by scandals.
Communication experts say it is no coincidence that the young princess has not been seen at royal parties, like her peers in other royal families, or that she has yet to make any public statements.
Even her stylistic choices complement her simplicity, since she has never been photographed wearing tiaras, expensive dresses and jewelry.
AP File Photo (Alvaro Barrientos)
Who is Princess Leonor – Her Family, Education and Relationship Rumours
Her birth and family
- Princess Leonor of Asturias (Spanish: Leonor, Princesa de Asturias) was born on October 31, 2005. Her birth was announced by the royal family to the press via SMS.
- She is the eldest daughter of King Philip VI and Queen Letitia of Spain and first in line to the Spanish throne.
- She has a younger sister, Infanta Sofia who was born on April 29, 2007.
Princess Leonor, King Felipe of Spain, Queen Letitia and Princess Infanta Sofia / AP Photo (Manu Fernandez)
- She was baptized at Tartuella Palace by the Archbishop of Madrid on 14 January 2006. Like her father in 1968, Eleonora was baptized with water from the Jordan River, according to royal custom.
- She was given the additional name de Todos los Santos (All Saints), a Bourbon tradition.
- Her godparents were her grandparents, o King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia.
- Her full title is: Her Royal Highness Dona Eleonora of All Saints of Bourbon and Ortiz, Princess of Asturias, Princess of Gerona, Princess of Viana, Duchess of Montblanc, Countess of Cerveras and Lady of Balaguer.
King Felipe and Queen Letitia with their two young daughters / AP File Photo (Andrea Comas)
Princess Leonor’s studies
On 7 September 2007 the Royal Guard Royal Nursery was launched.
Her first day of Elementary school was September 15, 2008. She attended Santa María de los Rosales School.
- He started playing the cello at the age of 6 and is left-handed.
- In May, Leonor graduated from UWC Atlantic, a boarding school in the Vale of Glamorgan, Wales, where she did IB.
- As she received her diploma, her classmates cheered her on, while her supervisor highlighted her “unwavering passion for learning, for understanding people and for exploring different perspectives,” as well as her sense of humor.
- The Spanish media then closely followed the completion of her basic training at a military academy in Taragotha, where she has begun a three-year course to become an officer. Leonor, like her fellow students, participated in exercises dressed in military uniform and beret and received a sword.
King Felipe of Spain and Princess Leonor during the Spanish National Day / AP File Photo (Manu Fernandez)
- She assumed her royal duties for the first time by presiding over her own Princess of Asturias Awards on October 20.
- He speaks English, French, Catalan, a language spoken in northeastern Spain, and a little Arabic.
Rumors about a relationship with a well-known football player
Earlier in the year, she was rumored to be in a relationship with Barcelona and Spain international footballer Pablo Martin Paez Gavira, known as Gavi.
It eventually turned out to be fake news, but it did show that a portion of the public was interested in seeing the princess as part of pop culture.
However, she was recently seen making eye contact with a fellow student from the military academy and their photo went viral, with everyone wondering if there is romance between them.
The snapshot that went viral / Photo X