Accuracy: Supermarkets are obliged to present lists in case there are price increases in 59 essential items (see the list) – Skrekas: “We want to achieve a permanent reduction in the price of the products on the shelf”. All details at xristika.gr.
Three new measures against punctuality are being implemented with the Minister of Development Kostas Skrekas signing the ministerial decisions by which supermarkets are on the one hand invited to participate in the “Permanent Price Reduction” initiative with special tabs on the shelves and on the other hand are obliged to present lists in case where there are price increases in 59 essential items.
Also, the Ministerial Decision defines the categories of fruit and vegetable products for which retail sales prices are announced to the Ministry of Development. The announcements of the indicative retail sales prices of fruit and vegetable products will be sent every Tuesday, at 09:00 through the digital platform e-katanalotis.gr.
1. “Permanent Price Reduction” initiative with special marking
The relevant Ministerial Decision describes the process of sending commitment documents from companies manufacturing or wholesale consumer products to the Ministry of Development as well as the special labeling of the products participating in the initiative.
– Manufacturing or wholesale consumer products businesses that will participate in the “Permanent Price Reduction” initiative should send the written commitment to the Ministry of Development by November 30, 2023. The shelf price on 9/19/23 will be taken as the reference price to calculate the reduction.
– It is stipulated that supermarkets should place on the shelf with reduced price products a special sign with specific markings and specifications, as described in the new Ministerial Decision.
– The Interagency Market Control Unit (D.I.M.E.A.) is the competent agency for imposing sanctions, in the event that a company falsely declares that it has proceeded with a price reduction.
2. Obligation for supermarkets to notify the Ministry of Development of price increases in products necessary for decent living or products in high demand
The Ministerial Decision defines the categories of products for which it is provided announcement of revaluations from Super Market whose total annual turnover exceeds 90,000,000 euros and the procedure for sending them to the Ministry of Development is described.
- – Notifications of any price increase in products necessary for decent living or products in high demand will be sent to the Ministry of Development every Tuesday, until 15:00.
- – In the event that the obligee conceals, falsifies or does not provide the information, it is imposed fine amounting to 50,000 euros from the Interdepartmental Market Control Unit (D.I.M.E.A.).
3. Obligation to announce retail sales prices of fruit and vegetable products
The Ministerial Decision defines the categories of fruit and vegetable products for which an announcement of retail sales prices to the Ministry of Development is foreseen
- – The announcements of the indicative retail sales prices of fruit and vegetable products will be sent every Tuesday, at 09:00 through the digital platform e-katanalotis.gr.
- – The Ministry of Development can announce the range of prices prevailing in stores either through the digital platform e-katanalotis, or on the website of the General Secretariat of Commerce.
Accuracy: “We want to achieve a permanent reduction in the price of products on the shelf”
The Minister of Development referred to the ministerial decisions on the products that will be on the shelves Super Market with new discounts, emphasizing that this is a new weapon for the fight against precision.
“It means that all products that suppliers decide to discount for at least 6 months and for at least 5% off the shelf price will be specially marked. We want the consumer when they enter the supermarket aisle to see which products are on sale,” he said.
As Mr. Skrekas said, the goal of the Ministry of Development is to include at least 500 product codes, which are necessary for households.